Monday, June 30, 2008

Ryan Luensman

“The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering.”

Ben Okri (Thinkexist)

Many times in our history we have been faced with hardships and adversity. In 1993 and 2005 Monticello was struck by floods that devastated parts of the town. In 2008, Iowa has been hit by tornadoes, a bad winter, and now the worst flood I may ever see. This was the first time that I can remember that we had so much rain and Monticello didn’t get truly affected. Our water started to rise, panic began, and then it broke and receded. The campgrounds, golf course, and a couple small businesses were hit but nothing like before. I stood in relief after sand bagging for much of the day. Our community is very good about sticking together and helping take care of each other. We have learned from our earlier mistakes of not taking Mother Nature seriously.

As the next couple days went on, the rain continued around the area. Many other rivers began to rise, but the Maquoketa stayed firm. I was naive to think that since our river wasn’t rising, no one else’s would be either. As I stood and watched the news, I was shocked to see the surrounding areas begin to flood. Slowly I began to see the horrible outcomes that could be created. Flood levels were reached in many surrounding communities. But they didn’t stop there; everyday, new records were beginning to creep closer. Very quickly the panic began in places that never thought they would be affected. Monticello seemed to be affected more by sere horror and fear than by water. Everyone was on edge and didn’t really know whether to stay home and prepare or go to Cedar Rapids and help. Finally, the 500 year flood mark was breeched and the city of Cedar Rapids had the worst flooding that I may ever see. Places I ate at, went to church, and signed papers were all under water up to their doorways. I have never felt such devastation so close to home. Family members and friends lost their homes. A place that I drive to three to four times a week was in utter shambles. School was canceled because of the courageous efforts of Mount Mercy - housing the National Guard and helping in any way possible. I was very proud to tell my community members about all the progress and help Mount Mercy was providing. I truly believe that even if you didn’t live in Cedar Rapids, you will be affected in one way or another. My family owns a grain business and because the factories were flooded, their business was affected. My sister-in-law works at Mercy hospital and had to evacuate patients to other hospitals. I never thought that a flood could have such a catastrophic impact. Was I blind to think we could control Mother Nature? Dodge her bullet?

Finally, after the water began to recede, I drove down to the Cedar Rapids area. I don’t think I have ever felt so humble in my life - family’s lives thrown out to the curb, houses marked to be destroyed. I know that this is a huge obstacle for our area. But I could only tell myself that this would only make our area stronger in the long run. Help in one way or another. I know many people that were affected by this devastation, and it will take a very long time for them to get their lives on track. Monticello was outside the flood lines this time, but who knows what will happen next time Mother Nature calls.















View the video Ryan included here















No comments: