Monday, June 30, 2008

Jacob Fishell

During the Flood of 2008, Mount Mercy College closed the campus down from Thursday June 12th to Saturday June 21st. I normally work the switchboard for the college during the regular work day, eight to five. During this time the college closed the switchboard and ran twenty-four/seven to help out with the volunteers, workers, and soldiers, who were using the campus as a base.

Because of the great need of help and protection the city of Cedar Rapids needed at this time, the Nation Guard, Air Force, and Army had soldiers stationed here on campus who went out to work twelve hour shifts; they, too, were also working throughout the city twenty-four/seven.

The soldiers were very courteous and grateful of the accommodations we were able to provide. The college and the city were grateful for their services and help they provided; they did it with no complaints and without hesitation. It was because of this friendship the college and soldiers had built on mutual respect and gratification that I was able to take pictures in restricted areas in downtown Cedar Rapids, the Czech village, and other areas. The soldiers were more than happy to escort me through the areas and pointed out some sights they had come across to be worthy of shooting and capturing the scene.

Thank you to all the men, women, and soldiers who helped out!!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Wow, Jacob...that must have been an amazing experience--not one that you ever wanted, I'm sure, but I'm glad that you shared the experience and some of your pictures. I think sometimes we forget that our military personnel do just as much work to protect us here in the states as they do overseas. Thank you so much for sharing this.

~Mary